Hendricks County Parks & Recreation currently has an opening for Full-Time Maintenance Technician to assist with general landscape and park maintenance duties; project work as necessary including carpentry, light construction activities, minor electrical and plumbing work, etc.; and help the Park Manager lead and supervise part-time maintenance staff in such work.
This person will work 35 hours per week at McCloud Nature Park outside of North Salem, Indiana, on the Vandalia Trail from Amo through Coatesville to the Hendricks-Putnam County Line, and at the property in Avon that will be developed into W.S. Gibbs Memorial Park.
Most work days will begin and end at McCloud Nature Park.
The position pays $15.60/hour during the first 90 days of employment, increasing to $17.33/hour upon completion of the probationary period.
A wide complement of benefits are available to all full-time Hendricks County employees, including paid holidays, paid time off, health insurance, Public Employees’ Retirement Fund (PERF), and more. Information about the specifics of those benefits will be provided by Hendricks County Human Resources within the first few days of employment.
Essential job functions include:
- Help Park Manager lead and supervise maintenance crew(s).
- Assist Park Manager with planning and prioritizing a wide variety of project work as well as building, facility, and grounds maintenance.
- Perform general landscape duties as directed.
- Maintain, clean, and make basic repairs on equipment.
- Diligent compliance with all safety procedures.
- Display an exceptionally helpful and friendly attitude to all parks visitors.
- Ability to work without direct supervision for long periods of time.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Incumbent will have a strong base of knowledge in basic maintenance tasks, including carpentry, minor electrical, minor plumbing, equipment and hand tool operation and maintenance (including mowers, skidsteer, UTVs, chainsaws, tractors, etc.), safety procedures, reading plans, and leadership.
- Must have minimum of high school diploma or GED.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team, with people of all socioeconomic classes, and have a professional appearance and presentation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the demonstration of a safe driving record.
- Incumbent will prioritize a wide variety of work based on the Park Manager’s verbal and/or written instructions, personnel/equipment availability, and weather and will appropriately communicate those instructions to the rest of the crew.
- Incumbent will sometimes supervise and frequently work with the maintenance crew to competently perform a wide variety of maintenance and project work, including carpentry, basic electrical work, basic plumbing, landscaping, invasive species control, and a variety of construction-related activities, frequently requiring the ability to read, catch mistakes in, and follow plans.
- Incumbent will use and help maintain all equipment for maintenance operations.
- Incumbent will provide excellent “customer service” for other departmental employees, officials, and the public.
- Incumbent will be required to adapt to changing situations and think critically, for example due to weather changes, equipment malfunctions, mistakes in plans, staff availability, etc.
- May rarely be required to respond to an emergency.
- Incumbent will work with and have basic supervisory responsibility for the maintenance crew and reports directly to the Park Manager.
- Incumbent will sometimes work independently.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Duties will be performed primarily outdoors during all seasons of the year.
- This position requires the ability to walk/stand for long periods of time, walking on uneven terrain, and lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Persons in this position must be responsible and feel comfortable working alone for hours at a time.
- Some weekends and some holidays may be required.
Please direct any questions about this position to Park Manager Jim Holtsclaw at (317) 489-8807 or email@example.com.
To view the job description, click here.
To view and complete the Hendricks County Government job application, click here.
Applications should be submitted to: Hendricks County Human Resources, 355 S. Washington Street, #217, Danville, IN 46122.
This position closed on June 10, 2019.