Hendricks County Parks & Recreation is currently hiring for a Part-Time Seasonal Naturalist to work five (5) days a week, 35 hours per week, from May 31 through July 30, 2021, for $17.16/hour. This position will be primarily based at McCloud Nature Park but may also involve working on the Vandalia Trail and/or at the new W.S. Gibbs Memorial Park before and/or after it opens to the public.
A Part-Time Seasonal Naturalist helps provide high quality, modern, nature-based programs to the community; assists with McCloud Nature Center staffing; and assists in the development of exhibits and displays that will encourage the appreciation of central Indiana’s natural environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist with the maintenance of the McCloud Nature Center and proper upkeep of the facility.
- Assist with the development of modern, interactive, educational exhibits for the McCloud Nature Center.
- Assist with the development and presentation of environmental education and recreation programs.
- Present nature programs for groups and schools at various sites throughout the County.
- Maintain a friendly and enthusiastic approach when representing Hendricks County Parks & Recreation for park patrons, visiting groups and while engaged in community outreach functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Qualified candidates will have a strong base of knowledge in nature, biology, and the outdoor world.
- Knowledge of modern multi-media techniques used in program presentation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
License or Certificates
Must possess a valid driver’s license and the demonstration of a safe driving record.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
Duties will be performed equally in indoor and outdoor environments during the summer months of employment. This position requires the ability to walk/stand for long periods of time, walking on uneven terrain, and lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 25 lbs. The qualified candidate must be able to work weekends and some evenings. This position also requires the ability to speak and present programs clearly and effectively. A Part-Time Seasonal Naturalist will spend time interacting with park patrons and must enjoy being the focal point of interaction with visitors.
Incumbent works under established guidelines and procedures. Tasks are fairly routine but require some selection of applicable methods and procedures. Errors in work cause minor inconvenience to the public or limited loss of time to the department.
The Part-Time Seasonal Naturalist reports directly to the Park Naturalist.
NOTE: A criminal background investigation is required of all HCP&R employees.
Please contact Park Naturalist Sarah Wolf at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this position.
To apply for this position, click here. Position is open until filled.