Hendricks County Parks & Recreation currently has openings for two (2) Seasonal Part-Time Naturalists to work from May 2 through August 21, 2020 (start and end dates are flexible to accommodate varying summer break dates). Seasonal Part-Time Naturalists help provide high-quality, modern, nature-based programs to the community; assist with McCloud Nature Center staffing; and assist in the development of exhibits and displays that will encourage the appreciation of central Indiana’s natural environment.
These employees will work 28 hours per week from May 2 through August 21, 2020 (or start and end dates close to these, depending on candidates' summer break schedules from school), primarily at McCloud Nature Park outside of North Salem, Indiana. They could also work on the Vandalia Trail from Amo through Coatesville to the Hendricks-Putnam County Line, at the property in Avon that will be developed into W.S. Gibbs Memorial Park, or at a variety of locations -- such as public libraries for the department's Animal Tales programming -- in and around Hendricks County. Most work days will begin and end at McCloud Nature Park. The position pays $16.07/hour.
Essential job functions include:
- Assist with the maintenance of the McCloud Nature Center and proper upkeep of the facility.
- Assist with the development of modern, interactive, educational exhibits for the nature center.
- Assist with the development and presentation of environmental education and recreation programs.
- Present nature programs for groups and schools at various sites throughout the County.
- Maintain a friendly and enthusiastic approach when representing Hendricks County Parks and Recreation for park patrons, visiting groups, and while engaged in community outreach functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Qualified candidates will have a strong base of knowledge in nature, biology and the outdoor world.
- Knowledge of modern multi-media techniques used in program presentation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions/directions, and appropriately respond to constructive criticism.
- Ability to work on several tasks at the same time, and complete work effectively amidst frequent distractions and interruptions.
- Ability to comply with all employer/department personnel policies and work rules, including, but not limited to, attendance, safety, drug-free workplace, and personal conduct.
- Maintain and possess a valid Indiana driver’s license and demonstrate a safe driving record.
- Ability to effectively and tactfully deal with other people.
Working conditions and physical demands:
Part-Time Seasonal Naturalists work under established guidelines and procedures. Tasks are fairly routine but require some selection of applicable methods and procedures. Errors in work cause minor inconvenience to the public or limited loss of time to the department.
Duties will be performed equally in indoor and outdoor environments during all seasons of the year. Duties will primarily be performed at McCloud Nature Park but could also include other locations within Hendricks County or in surrounding counties.
These positions requires the ability to walk/stand for long periods of time, walking on uneven terrain, and lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 25 lbs. The qualified candidates must be able to work weekends and some evenings. These positions also require the ability to speak and present programs clearly and effectively. Part-Time Seasonal Naturalists will spend time interacting with park patrons and must enjoy being the focal point of interaction with visitors.
Part-Time Seasonal Naturalists report directly to the Senior Park Naturalist under the supervision of the Parks Superintendent. Working relationships are with supervisors, associates in the same department, other county departments, and the general public.
NOTE: A criminal background investigation is required of ALL HCP&R employees.
Please contact Senior Park Naturalist Sarah Wolf at email@example.com with any questions about these positions.
To view the job description and to apply for one of these positions, click here.
These positions will remain open until filled or until May 1, 2020, whichever comes first.