About W.S. Gibbs Memorial Park
The Hendricks County Park Board owns 140 acres of land in Avon, which includes Phase I of W.S. Gibbs Memorial Park. Phase I encompasses about 70 acres of the property and was constructed in 2020 and 2021 by John Hall Construction out of Plainfield, Ind. and by the HCP&R maintenance crew. It is scheduled to open to the public in the summer of 2021.
The park’s official address is 4521 Gibbs Road in Danville, although it is physically located within the limits of the Town of Avon. It is situated on Gibbs Road in between County Roads 200 S. and 350 S. Click here to locate the park on Google Maps.
Once the park opens to the public, it will be open from dawn to dusk daily, and admission to the park and the disc golf course will be free.
- 70 acres of woods, prairie, ephemeral creek, and ponds
- Over 2 miles of well-marked trails (gravel and natural surfaces)
- Two ponds totaling 5.5 acres; will be stocked with fish in the future for consumptive fishing
- ADA-accessible fishing dock
- Nature-themed playgrounds for 5-to-12-year-olds and for 2-to-5-year-olds
- 18-hole disc golf course surrounded by native prairie grasses
- ADA-accessible Bluegill Shelter with grill and picnic tables near the ponds; will be available to rent
- ADA-accessible Firefly Shelter with grill and picnic tables near the playground; will be available to rent
- ADA-accessible concrete walkways from parking lots to shelters
- 30-foot-tall observation/sledding hill
- Picnic areas
- Green space
- Future phases will add additional amenities
The Bluegill Shelter (near the ponds) and the Firefly Shelter (near the playground) at W.S. Gibbs Memorial Park will be available for your enjoyment year-round, and will be available for day-long rentals.
Read more about W.S. Gibbs Memorial Park on Visit Hendricks County’s blog by clicking here.