Our Park Naturalists come to your local library each month to share a story about a native animal and a related craft or activity with preschool through upper elementary age children. This program is FREE to attend. Some libraries prefer advance registration due to space limitations, so be sure to check with your library about their policy.
For Avon-Washington Township Public Library programs: Call library at (317) 272-4818 to register in advance.
Upcoming Library Programs
November – Vulture View
Turkey vultures soar on the balmy air, looking for their next stinky feast. These birds don’t hunt―they like their food to be already dead, and their eating habits serve a very important ecological role. Vultures are part of nature’s clean-up crew. In her signature poetic, energetic style, acclaimed nature writer April Pulley-Sayre introduces young readers to the world of the turkey vulture. The gorgeous illustrations by Caldecott Honor–winning artist Steve Jenkins capture these birds in all their surprising majesty.
- Tues., Nov. 7 at 2pm: Roachdale Public Library
- Wed., Nov. 8 at 1:30pm: Coatesville Public Library
- Wed., Nov. 8 at 4pm: Brownsburg Public Library
- Thurs., Nov. 9 at 2pm: Tri-Area Library, Jamestown
- Thurs., Nov. 9 at 4pm: Clayton Public Library
- Fri., Nov. 10 at 12:30pm: Plainfield Public Library
- Fri., Nov. 10 at 2pm: Avon Public Library
- Fri., Nov. 10 at 4pm: Danville Public Library
December – Under the Snow
When snow falls, we love to sled and skate and have snowball fights. But at the end of the day, we go home where it is warm and safe. What about all those animals out there in the forests and fields? What do they do when snow blankets the ground? Journey from your neighborhood to the woods, where ladybugs crowd together in a gap in the stone wall and a chipmunk snoozes in his burrow. Take a side trip to the pond, where a carp rests quietly on the bottom and a green frog nestles in the mud, scarcely breathing. And then as winter passes and the sun’s rays grow stronger, join all the animals as they get ready for spring.
- Tues., Dec. 5 at 2pm: Roachdale Public Library
- Wed., Dec. 6 at 1:30pm: Coatesville Public Library
- Wed., Dec. 6 at 4pm: Brownsburg Public Library
- Thurs., Dec. 7 at 2pm: Tri-Area Library, Jamestown
- Thurs., Dec. 7 at 4pm: Clayton Public Library
- Fri., Dec. 8 at 2pm: Avon Public Library
- Fri., Dec. 8 at 4pm: Danville Public Library